The HomeSecurityList Smart Home Scholarship is intended to cultivate innovation among the next generation of builders, makers, ethical-hackers, product creators and even homeowners interested in the internet of things.
While large brands like Xfinity Home, Frontpoint, Protect America and even SimpliSafe are slow to update their equipment technology, small startups like Canary, Scout and many more are bringing cutting-edge tech and design into the home security scene. Likewise, legacy walled-garden home automation tech like Control4 is being replaced by revolutionary devices/services like Amazon Alexa, which seems to play well with nearly everything now.
In other words, it’s a very exciting time for the world of smart homes and IoT. Surely you can find an interesting topic for your essay.
- You must be either…
- A high school senior already accepted to a college or trade school, or…
- A student currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate degree program at any accredited college, university or trade school in the United States.
- You must be interested in the smart home revolution including home automation, IoT (internet of things), home security, etc.
The internet of things (IoT) and its subniche of the smart home are both strong trends in 2017. It seems like the number of smart home product launches is growing geometrically every year, and that is very exciting.
Just like smartphones continue to have a growing impact on how we live, work and socialize; the internet of things is set to do the same in its respective areas.
You may want to consider the following questions as you write:
- Why is the smart home and IoT movement important?
- How will the IoT shape the world over the next several years? The next decade?
- What are some popular applications and use cases of IoT in the home?
- What are some of the most unique/coolest applications of IoT in the home? (building your own “Jarvis” for example)
Your work will be evaluated based on factors such as creativity, relevancy to IoT/smart home/home security, quality and originality.